Cinemagraph by Benny Migliorino of Benny Migs Photo
The Midnight on Main St. New Year’s Eve festivities in Patchogue Village will kick off at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 31. Here’s what you need to know.
• The New Year’s Eve countdown and ball drop — the prior two years’ saw the big ball rise, not drop — happens at 9 p.m. (Not midnight!)
• A stretch of East Main Street, from West Main Street at Ocean Avenue to Maple Avenue, will be closed at 7 p.m.
• The party, complete with a DJ for street dancing, starts at 8 p.m. This whole event is designed to be family friendly, hence the countdown that’s happening three hours earlier.
• People will be gathering at the Capital One Plaza (116 East Main Street) for the party and illuminated ball countdown
• An estimated 6,500 people packed Main Street for last year’s countdown.
• The ball itself is a 4-foot lucite geodesic sphere, decked with gleaming LED lights and made by North Star Signs & Neon Inc. in Patchogue.
• There will be a Grucci grand illuminations display with an expanded pyrotechnics program at the time of the countdown, staged atop the Capital One Bank building and across the street at the Ackerly Building that houses Del Fiore Pizza.
• Perabell Food Bar is Midnight on Main St.’s presenting sponsor, and the restaurant owners’ children, Donato Peragine, 4, Valentina Peragine, 3, Scotti Jr Campbell, 13, Tully Campbell, 11, and Mason Chiarella, 11 months, will push the handle on the TNT box to explode the fireworks.
• The novelty TNT box is being made by CB’s Crafty Designs.
• Look for the Midnight on Main St. Snapchat filter, sponsored by Pat-Med Library.
• Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts will be unveiling a raffle contest, which will be sponsored by greaterpatchogue.com and announced Saturday night.
• There’s also a 50/50 drawing for the Clean Lakes In Patchogue efforts, taking place at 8:45 p.m. Chances may be purchased up until the time of drawing. Proceeds will go toward the purchase of aerators for Patchogue Lake.
Chances are $5 each or five for $20 and are available this week at the chamber office at 15 North Ocean Avenue, or see Trustee Joseph Keyes in Village Hall at 14 Baker Street.
• Also look for the Aw Snap photo booth.
• Use the hashtag #midnightonmainst (and, if you’d like, #greaterpatchogue).
For more information, call the Greater Patchogue Chamber of Commerce at 631-207-1000.
Featured photo of the 2015-16 Midnight on Main St. by Benny Migliorino/Benny Migs Photo.